Friday, June 26, 2015

Ocean Notions

I’m not a beach person.  Lying in the scorching sun for hours at the summer solstice – even with emerald waters and mesmerizing surf – isn’t at the top of my travel wish list.  So why post about it?  I guess there’s something magical about feeling small at the edge of such a great blue expanse that comprises most of this planet; that, and accompanying my precious family to the friendly beaches of Ocean City, NJ, which filled my heart with happiness and hope.

Hope that my grandchildren will grow and make the world a better place.  Hope that my mother, who has sacrificed for all of us for so many years, continues to bring happiness to her lineage.  Hope that my daughter, who just landed a good job, will follow in the matriarchal footsteps left before her like so many footprints in the sand.

For me, this was just another opportunity to let my mind drift to creative ways of helping others have hope.  The ebb and flow of the tide and ceaseless surf reminded me that life continues with or without us.  We are often pushed and pulled by currents beyond our control.  Yet, if we remain conscious and aware of our destination and the beauty each day presents, the waves become a little less ominous; the distant horizon a little clearer; and the notion that God helps keep us afloat an absolute.

So I’ll put my mermaid flippers away and return to mainland back home.  I’m not sure the next time I’ll be on the beach – perhaps Wigmore Institute in the winter? – but in the meantime I’ll try to remember the healing salt air, the calming surf, and the joy and laughter of family full of life and love.










No comments:

Post a Comment