Sunday, June 7, 2015

Linn Run, Run

I’ve been getting back to nature lately … and if it wasn’t so beautiful and serene here I would have been tempted to run.  But what makes the forest and all its grandeur so special is that I can slow down; in fact, Mother Nature requires it.  Be still and listen, She says.  Unplug and breathe.  Be.  And why not?  Mother’s Day is tomorrow.

Recently I was introduced to a hidden gem in the Laurel Highlands just an hour from Pittsburgh – Linn Run State Park. As a northern spine of the Appalachian Mountains, Linn Run offers miles of hiking and biking trails along streams and rolling ridges.  One afternoon I casually strolled down Fish Run Trail and the next morning climbed 2,000 feet navigating Grove Run Trail as it meanders up and down the verdant hills and valleys.


Wildflowers and bird life accentuated the scenery when I could bring myself to look away from the creeks and streams crisscrossing the hillsides.  The sun fought to break through the forest canopy so it was comfy for an 80-degree day; a cool breeze helped too.  I came out of my trance just in time to step over a 4-foot black snake sunning on the trail.  Somehow even that didn’t bother me.

At various times I had to sit and contemplate my place in all this beauty. I felt small and insignificant in the grand scheme of things, but I also felt at home.  I was moved to tears by how comfortable and welcome this place makes me feel.  I planned to bike and run some of the country roads and maybe rent one of the many cabins nearby so I could experience even more of what nature has to offer.  Wouldn’t mom want it that way?

No comments:

Post a Comment