Sunday, June 21, 2015

Gallivanting in Gallitzin

Another foray into the wilderness in May took me to the top of Rager Mountain, the pinnacle of Gallitzin State Forest.  Located only a few miles from Johnstown, PA, it’s a world away from the daily distractions in life.  For hours I hiked near tall trees, waterfalls and caves that are home to black bears, which fortunately I did not encounter. Instead, it was if I became entranced by the simplicity of the wilderness again, focusing on the surroundings like a natural deep-breathing exercise.

I felt serenely rooted in nature and compelled to combine my two loves, yoga and hiking, while striking a tree pose among the mature stands of oaks and leftover boulders from the Ice Age. It is here that my mind becomes clear and I dream about ways to help people live more satisfying and rewarding lives.



It seems my life has turned toward, dare I say returned, to nature?  Every few weeks I find myself hiking and wandering – wondering – while taking in breath-affirming beauty.  I don’t know exactly where each trail will take me, but I find traversing mountains and hopping streams a metaphor for this time in my life.

I’ll continue to return to the wild as a humble reminder of my own mortality and for inspiration to live every day for God and others who I may be able to help find their own nirvana.  Namaste.

No comments:

Post a Comment