Monday, April 20, 2015

Oh, Wow! Ohiopyle


What a glorious weekend past.  The trials of work seemed to fade away with every mile I traveled further from Pittsburgh.  It wasn't long before I was walking in the sunshine and breathing country fresh air along the banks of the Youghiogheny River, the life's blood of Ohiopyle and a treasure for anyone who discovers it.


I followed along the banks of the jade green rapids as it snaked its way through the mountains, feeding the laurel and wildflowers hiding among stands of pines. Soon I was taken back to my roots in nature, the thunder and rush of the cascades drowning out any thoughts of my day at the office.

Meandering over ridges and along the river, I stopped to feel the warm sun on my face and light wind off the chilling water. I never knew so much beauty existed right in my backyard. I was breathing easy and realized all of my stress had been swept away like so much flotsam over the falls.

Soon I found myself in an open field and felt as if I was back home again in Pizzoferrato, Italy.  I closed my eyes and thanked God for all the bounty and beauty before me.  I was rewarded later that evening with an indigo black sky dotted with a shiny scatter shot of stars from so many millennia ago.  It was both majestic and humbling at the same time, which is what I love about nature.

I slept soundly at a cozy bed and breakfast appropriately called Quiet House and promised myself I would come back when the trees turn golden and the river readies itself for showers of snow.  Maybe you can find a little gem like this near you and get in touch with nature?  I hope so.







No comments:

Post a Comment